The purpose of Vital Records is to maintain records of all births and deaths in Muscogee County and to assist in the filing and issuance of any such certificates.
8:00AM – 4:30PM Monday – Friday
- Issue birth certificates (ID required)
- Issue death certificates
- Assist in the amending of birth and death certificates
- Paternity acknowledgements
* In order to save yourself some time when you visit our office, please feel free to print out a copy of the application for birth or death certificate and bring the completed form with you when you come to our office.
APPLICATION FOR BIRTH CERTIFICATE (IF PAYING BY CREDIT CARD)
*Please note; the Vital Records Office does not handle Social Security cards.
* Birth and Death certificates cost $25.00 for one (1) certified copy and $5.00 for each additional copy on the same person at the same time of purchase. Valid picture ID is required.
* There is a $10.00 charge to complete a Paternity Acknowledgment or Legitimation on a child that is 1 year old or older.
* Vital Records (only) will no longer be accepting personal checks effective April 1, 2011.
Birth Certificate Information:
- “Original” birth certificates are kept on file at the State Vital Records office in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Only certified copies of the original birth certificate are issued by the Muscogee County Vital Records office.
- The State of Georgia is now on a new system that allows certificates to be issued from any county in Georgia. No matter which county an individual was born, a birth certificate can be issued for that person in any county.
- Birth certificates are not automatically mailed to new parents.
- Birth certificates are generally ready to be picked up two (2) weeks after birth.
- Birth and Death certificates cost $25.00 for one (1) certified copy and $5.00 for each additional copy on the same person at the same time of purchase. Valid picture ID is required.
Birth Certificates Can Be Issued To:
- Individual named on certificate
- Parent (listed on birth certificate)
- Adult (15+) natural Brother/Sister
- Adult (15+) Child
- Legal Guardian (with proof)
Birth Certificates Cannot Be Issued To:
- Aunt, Uncle, or Cousin
- Niece or Nephew
- Non-family member
Paternity Acknowledgment Information:
- Paternity Acknowledgment forms are completed in our office by appointment only Monday through Friday.
- Both the mother and natural father must be present.
- Both the mother and natural father must have valid picture ID* and signed social security cards.
- There is a $10.00 charge to complete a Paternity Acknowledgment on a child that is 1 year old or older.
Identification Requirements to obtain birth certificates
Under Georgia Law, Birth Records are restricted documents and can only be requested by individuals who are eligible to receive them (eligibility requirements are described in detail on the appropriate application forms). To protect you and the community from Identity Theft, we require the following documentation to be presented along with your application:
ID REQUIRED: (Cannot be over 1 year expired)
- State or Country Issued ID or Driver's License
- Military ID
- Metra Transit ID
- Prison ID
- School ID (with transcript/class schedule, report card, or letter from school)
- Work ID (with paycheck stub or letter from company)
TWO (2) different bills or receipts in person's name
Examples: Power, Water, Gas, Cable, Doctor/Hospital, Credit Card bill, Cell phone bill or contract, etc. Bank statement/receipt, car registration, car insurance, W-2, pawn receipt, rental receipt/lease, prescription, traffic ticket, school transcript, income tax paperwork, immunization record, prison release papers, voter's registration card, certified marriage certificate.
Individuals under the age of 15 are unable to request a copy of their own record.
Identification requirements for paternity acknowledgements
- Valid picture ID of any state government-issued ID (driver’s license or ID), country- issued ID, military ID, or passport that is not expired.
If you are requesting a certificate by mail:
Please mail your request to
Columbus Department of Public Health
P.O. Box 2299
Columbus, GA 31902-2299
*Send Money orders only
**Send copies of valid picture I.D.
For further information:
Please call Vital Records at 706-321-6130 or 1-800-789-5501
Revised 03/27/13 jl